Milford, MA Town Information

Milford is a town in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States. It had a population of 27,999 as of the 2010 census.

 

Milford was first settled in 1662 and was officially incorporated in 1780. It was originally the eastern part of Mendon, called "Mill River".

 

Milford is renowned for its pink Milford granite, discovered in 1870. Some of this granite has been used for buildings in New York City, Washington, D.C., and Paris, along with a number of war memorials and other monuments, including the Battle Monument at West Point.

 

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 14.9 square miles (39 km2), of which 14.6 square miles (38 km2) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2), or 1.82%, is water. Milford is drained by the Charles River.

 

As of the census of 2000, there were 26,799 people, 10,420 households, and 7,200 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,835.6 people per square mile (708.7/kmē). There were 10,713 housing units at an average density of 733.8 per square mile (283.3/kmē).

 

Source: Wikipedia

 

Image: "Milford Upper Charles Trail, Milford MA" by John Phelan - Own work. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons.